Monday, April 4, 2011

Player of the Week: Danny Seigle

DANNY Seigle’s star is not about to fade out just yet, not when the old fire
within him has seemingly been stoked by his transfer to Air21.
The man thought to be past his prime showed this by coming up with two
double-doubles and playing a key role in the Express’ back-to-back wins in the
week that was, charging up their drive to a quarterfinals seat in the PBA
Commissioner’s Cup.

In those much-needed wins over Meralco and Powerade, Seigle averaged 20.5 points
and 12.0 rebounds, throwing in 2.0 blocks, 1.5 assists and 1.0 steals in the
process, to earn the Accel-PBA Press Corps Player of the Week honors for the
period March 28 to April 3.
The citation was the first such for the 1999 Rookie of the Year since the 2008
Fiesta Conference and his recent numbers were his best since the 2007-08
Philippine Cup, when he averaged 18.7 points and 8.0 boards.
Seigle credited it all to the new challenges and opportunities that opened up
for him when he, along with Dondon Hontiveros, Dorian Pena and Paul Artadi were
shipped to Air21 from San Miguel Beer for Rabeh Al-Hussaini, Nonoy Baclao and
Rey Guevarra last March 2.

“It all has to do with getting the time, getting the touches,” said the
34-year-old. “In San Miguel I was more of a role player. But I was happy with
that role, I mean, backing up JayWash (Washington), giving him a break when he
needed it.

“Here, it’s different. I’m drawn back into a bigger role and it’s not just my
scoring. I have to rebound, play defense. It’s been a challenge and I just love
going out there and compete. That’s what I love to do.”
He adds he is in no way left bitter by the separation from his first PBA team he
helped power to six championships.
“I take a step back and look at the whole situation and weigh it and either way
I would have been happy,” he stated. “It was just so positive for me. At San
Miguel I didn’t mind taking that role. I was finding other ways to contribute.
Here it opened up new challenges and opportunities and I’m just trying to take
advantage of it.”
Seigle really has been making hay. In a 110-101 victory over Meralco last
Wednesday, he chipped in 18 points and 12 rebounds for his first double-double
since the 2009 Fiesta. He followed that up with 23 points and 12 rebounds in a
108-98 triumph over Powerade last Sunday.
Those wins jacked Air21’s record to 4-4. It still has to prevail over Alaska on
Wednesday to advance past the eliminations and claim a quarterfinals berth and
Seigle believes it’s a very doable thing.
“I like what I see, the guys are starting to believe in themselves a little more
and I think that’s a big thing,” he said. “We’re just gonna battle, our backs to
the wall, and we just got to keep playing… do our best.”
One could guarantee he sure would.PR

No comments: